You know it’s important to have a personal doctor. After all, a trusted relationship with your doctor could mean better health overall. But, what if you’re new to the area? Or, just switched health plans? What should you consider when choosing your primary doctor?
How to choose the right personal doctor
Here's what to look for
A positive relationship with your personal doctor is associated with greater satisfaction, better overall health and lower hospital and emergency room use.
But, how do you choose the right doctor for you?
Qualities of a good doctor:
- Interest in your whole being. Find someone who takes interest in your whole being, not just your symptoms. That means physical, mental and emotional well-being.
- Trust and open communication. Make sure there's a mutual feeling of trust and you have the ability to have open communication.
- Actively listens. It's important that your personal doctor listens to you, asks about your symptoms and answers your questions.
- Helps you understand. The doctor should be able to explain a diagnosis and treatment options in a way you can understand.
- Involves you. A good personal doctor keeps you involved in your health and values your opinion on treatment options.
myWellmark® makes finding a personal doctor easier
Log in or register for myWellmark Opens New Window to make sure the doctor and facility you are considering is in your health plan network. myWellmark is there to help you find an in-network provider or a personal doctor near you. With myWellmark you can also:
- Check quality scores and reviews of providers with locations closest to you.
- Know what your visits will cost before you go.
- And, much more.
myWellmark is your once-stop source for personalized health care information. If you haven’t registered yet, it’s easy. All you need is your Wellmark ID card and a personal email address.