This article was last updated on Feb. 5, 2020.
#1 rule of thumb: Show your most recent ID card
Any time you get a new Wellmark ID card, you should destroy your old ID card and use the new one. Your Wellmark ID card has all the information you need to get your prescription filled at the cost share according to your health insurance benefits. If you prefer to keep things electronic, download the Wellmark app to see your ID card on your phone.
Remember, it's important to always:
- Show your ID card the next time you see a doctor.
- Show your ID card the next time you visit the pharmacy.
#2 rule of thumb: Shop and compare prescription drug costs
Whenever you have a new prescription or switch medications, check to see if it is covered. Log in to myWellmark® Opens New Window and select Find Care to look up covered drugs and find out how much they will cost you out-of-pocket.
The Wellmark Drug List Opens New Window, also known as the formulary, outlines all of the drugs covered by Wellmark's prescription drug plans. The formulary changes periodically, so be sure to check it the next time you have a prescription filled.
Discover more ways to save and make smart decisions about your drug coverage with mobile and online pharmacy tools through myWellmark:
- Pharmacy Locator. Find a pharmacy anywhere, anytime. With a nationwide network, use your same pharmacy you know and trust.
- Drug Interaction Checker. Quickly identify possible interactions between your medications.
- Pill Identifier. Enter the imprint, color or shape to verify your pill.
- Check Drug Cost. Enter your drug and see if there is a generic or lower cost alternative available.
#3 rule of thumb: Ask for generic drugs
If your drug is covered by your plan, asking for a generic drug may save you money.
- Same treatment, less money. Generic drugs provide the same treatment but generally cost far less — an estimated 80 to 85 percent less, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration External Site.
- Substitutions allowed. Pharmacists can usually substitute a generic for the drug your doctor prescribes.
- Avoid paying the difference. If you don’t choose an available generic, you may be required to pay the cost difference between the generic and the more expensive brand name drug.
Eliminate the guesswork
When was the last time you knew the price of a prescription before you visited the pharmacy? Avoid the unknown by using the tools in myWellmark.
Sign up for myWellmark Opens New Window to understand your health benefits:
- No more wondering. Know your out-of-pocket costs before your office visit or before you pick up your prescription.
- No more guessing. Easily check your copayments, deductibles, and out-of-pocket maximums.
- No more digging. Get personalized tools and real-time information about your Wellmark coverage.
Looking for more prescription drug information Opens New Window? We have you covered.
- Understand copays and drug tier terminology.
- Learn about specialty drugs.
- Know when to get approval before you fill certain prescriptions.
- Know how to safely order prescriptions online.
- Learn what your options are if your prescription isn’t covered.