Sustainable Health Care
Health is personal and precious and when it fails us, care can be costly. Protecting our members’ financial and physical well-being is our most important job. We have always encouraged healthy lifestyle choices and empower our members to take control of their health. Keeping our members and their communities healthy is the best answer to keeping health care affordable
That’s why we quickly raised our hands and got involved in 2011 when Iowa Governor Terry Branstad announced the Healthiest State Initiative. The goal of the Healthiest State Initiative is to rally Iowans from all walks of life to come together and make Iowa the healthiest state in the nation.
We’ve also empowered local businesses, nonprofits, schools and local governments to make their workplaces healthier for their employees. In the schools, this also positively impacts students. From these experiences, we’ve learned:
- Every community is different. Each has its own priority.
- Communities that commit to transformation can accomplish big things one step at a time.
- A healthy and vibrant population leads to a healthy and vibrant community and economy!
YOUR ZIP CODE COULD IMPACT YOUR HEALTH MORE THAN YOUR GENETIC CODE
A lot has happened in the five years since the Healthiest State Initiative launched. We’ve worked with communities both large and small to make positive changes to their built environments — all of the physical parts of where we live, work and play to make the healthy choice the easy choice for residents.
Healthy HometownSM Powered by Wellmark is designed to make the healthy choice the easy choice and improve overall well-being. Every community has different priorities, as well as people and budgets to put plans into action. Healthy Hometown can be customized easily for a community’s level of interest and commitment.
The Healthy Hometown model has three paths that communities can follow to make improvements: eat well, move more and feel better. Improvements can be made in the following places: community, health care provider, organization/institution, retail food, school and worksite.
Iowa Communities have two ways to participate:
- Do a self-assessment. The self-assessment tool External Site is available online for schools, worksites and communities. Participants answer questions about their organization and policies in place. At the end of the assessment, participants will receive a report listing ways to enhance the well-being of their students, employees and citizens.
- Ask for help from experts. A community can submit a Healthy Hometown Statement of Interest PDF Filefor requesting expert assistance in prioritizing and implementing a plan to make healthy choices available and easy for residents to adopt.
Still wondering if this is right for your community? Please give us a call at 515-376-4401 or email HealthyHometown@wellmark.com Send Email. We are happy to help answer any questions you may have and help get you started on a path to making the healthy choice the easy choice.
Interested in Healthy Hometown and improvements you personally can make to eat well, move more and feel better? Check out these simple tips PDF File that will help you make healthy choices easier.