Healthy Hometown - Iowa
Wellmark and the Healthiest State Initiative are working to make Iowa the healthiest state in the nation and enhance the well-being of Iowa residents. Whether it’s planting community gardens, making your town more walkable, or volunteering, Healthy Hometown is here to help.
So, what can we do?
Healthy Hometown has three paths communities can follow to make improvements: eat well, move more, feel better. Improvements can be made in a number of places: schools, worksites, community organizations, etc. If you're willing to do the work, we'll put you on the right path.
Examples of ways you can improve your community include:*
- Healthy vending options
- Community or school gardens
- Encourage non-food fundraisers
- Develop a complete streets policy — improving walkability and bikeability
- Physical activity breaks for school children
- Identify safe walking routes
- Create volunteer opportunities
- Start a wellness committee
- Establish nicotine-free areas
* Just an example of more than 100 evidence-based possibilities.
Committed to community improvement — community successesHealthy Hometown continues to use proven strategies to help communities change the environment to make healthy choices easier in both Iowa and South Dakota. Find out how Cass County, Waterloo and Waverly earned 2021 Healthy HometownSM Powered by Wellmark Community Awards.
Previous winnersFind out what positive changes these communities have made to earn the Healthy Hometown Community Award in the past.
- Manning - 2020 opens in new window
- Waverly - 2020 opens in new window
- West Union - 2020 opens in new window
- Algona - 2019 opens in new window
- Knoxville - 2019 opens in new window
- Mason City - 2019 opens in new window
- Cedar Rapids - 2018 opens in new window
- Mason City - 2018 opens in new window
- Sioux City - 2018 opens in new window