Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa
Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc.
The Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc. products include:
- Blue Advantage®
- Blue Choice®
- Blue Access®
Primary Care Physicians (PCP) referrals
Members covered by Blue Advantage and Blue Choice must choose a PCP (internist, family practitioner, or pediatrician) to manage their care.
- Blue Advantage: Members must receive services from their PCP or obtain referrals from their PCP before receiving services. The PCP is not required to submit notification of the referral to Wellmark except in certain situations (see below). Members may receive gynecological or obstetrical care from their selected OB/GYN without a referral.
- Blue Choice: Members are not required to receive referrals except in certain situations (see below).
- Blue Access: Members do not select a PCP. Consequently, they do not need a referral to receive benefits in most situations. However, a referral is required for out-of-network care (see below).
Preventive care benefits and requirements
Members with preventive care coverage must receive care from the following providers to be eligible for benefits.
- Blue Advantage and Blue Choice members must receive preventive services from their PCP, their PCP's backup clinician, or their selected OB/GYN.
- Blue Access members must receive preventive services from a PCP-type clinician (internist, family practitioner, or pediatrician).
These additional preventive benefits are available:
- Blue Advantage – A routine eye exam is payable when performed by a network optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Blue Choice – A routine eye exam is payable at the highest benefit level (Level 1) when performed by a network optometrist or ophthalmologist. A routine gynecological exam is payable at the highest benefit level when performed by a network gynecologist. Other services by these two specialists process at Level 2.
Log in Provider Portal to determine if a member's contract includes coverage for preventive care Secure Site.
Members covered by Blue Advantage and Blue Access do not have benefits for out-of-network care unless services are a medical emergency or are preapproved through the referral process by Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc.
Blue Choice provides out-of-network benefits at a higher level (Level 2) when out-of-network services are pre-approved by Wellmark through the referral process. Otherwise, benefits process at Level 3. Whenever possible, in-network laboratory services should be used to keep member costs low.
The Health Management Secure Site section of the Wellmark Provider Guide includes:
- Availability and Accessibility Standards
- Member Reminder Programs
- HEDIS® Results
- NCQA Accreditation
Health Plan Ratings including HEDIS and NCQA information.