Some prescription medications require special handling, administration or monitoring. These drugs are used to treat complex, chronic and often costly conditions. Learn more about what do to if you have been prescribed a specialty drug.
Preferred specialty pharmacy providers
If you are prescribed a specialty drug, you may only be allowed to use a certain pharmacy as your preferred specialty pharmacy, typically CVS SpecialtyTM External Site and Hy-Vee Pharmacy Solutions External Site. Specialty drug coverage varies by plan. Check your coverage documents to know which preferred pharmacy is covered by your plan.
When you use a preferred pharmacy for your specialty drugs, you'll receive the following services at no extra cost:
- Educational materials and ongoing support to help you manage your health
- Complete insurance billing, including coordination of benefits for lower out-of-pocket costs and virtually no paperwork
- Free courier delivery of medications, often with next-day delivery
- Supplies, including syringes, alcohol swabs and sharps kits, if required
- Access to pharmacists and other health experts 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Follow-up care calls to remind you when it is time to refill your prescription, check on your therapy progress, and answer any questions you may have