Medicare Advantage Vs. Medicare Supplement
Find the best coverage for your needs.
Both of Wellmark's Medicare Advantage and Medicare supplement plans provide you with robust coverage you can trust, from a local company. When choosing the right coverage option for your needs, consider these key differences between Medicare Advantage and Medicare supplement.
Medicare Advantage vs. Medicare Supplement
Understanding the differences: Medicare Advantage vs. Medicare supplement
- You prefer the convenience of an all-in-one plan.
- You prefer to save money on your monthly premium in exchange for higher out-of-pocket costs as they come up.
- You’re willing to see a provider in your plan's network.
- You plan to receive most of your health care while at home, or you’re willing to have network restrictions when receiving care while traveling.
Benefits of Medicare Advantage
- You prefer to choose all your plans separately to get the exact level of coverage you need.
- You prefer to pay more up-front, in exchange for low or no out-of-pocket costs later on.
- You would like to see any doctor who accepts Medicare.
- You travel for part of the year and want unrestricted network access.
Benefits of Medicare Supplement
- Pay a lower monthly premium in exchange for higher out-of-pocket costs.
- One bill and ID card for all your Medicare benefits.
- Little or no monthly premium for your policy.
- Will have a deductible, copays, and coinsurance costs.
- Pay a higher monthly premium in exchange for lower out-of-pocket costs.
- Multiple bills and ID cards from separate Medicare policies.
- Will have a monthly premium for your policy.
- Will cover all or most deductibles, copays, and coinsurance left over from Original Medicare depending on which Medicare supplement plan you choose.
- Choose a doctor who participates in your plan's network or, in some cases, pay extra to see an out-of-network doctor.
- See any doctor nationally who accepts Medicare, plus emergency care worldwide.
- Not included; would need to purchase a Medicare prescription drug plan (Part D) separately
- Not included; would need to be purchased separately