affordable care act (aca)
- Guaranteed Issue: No one can deny you coverage based on your health status.
- Essential Health Benefits: A set of 10 health care service categories that health plans must cover.
- Open Enrollment Period: A specific time of year you can purchase health insurance for the upcoming year. You can enroll outside that window if you experience a Special Enrollment Event, like marriage or birth.
- Tax penalties: If you don’t buy insurance, you’ll pay either a flat dollar amount or 2.5 percent of your income, whichever is greater.
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage: This important document gives an overview of your plan and coverage options.
About your rights
All Americans must have health insurance (called Minimum Essential Coverage) or pay a tax penalty.
The ACA includes a number of important benefits and protections. For example, dependents can now be covered on family plans up to age 26, and no one can deny you coverage based on pre-existing conditions. All new Wellmark plans meet or exceed these requirements.