Renewing Your Plan
In most cases, if you are on a grandfathered or grandmothered plan, it will automatically renew on Jan. 1, 2019. But before that happens, consider your options to see if your plan is still the best fit for your needs and budget.
Your 2019 plan options
- Renew your plan — Wellmark grandfathered and grandmothered members can remain on their plan for 2019. Although premiums are rising, these benefit-rich plans generally cost less than ACA-compliant plans, unless you qualify for a significant subsidy.
- Choose an ACA-compliant plan — People looking for comprehensive coverage and/or financial assistance may choose one of Wellmark’s ACA-compliant plans issued by Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc. and Wellmark Value Health Plan, Inc. If you’re interested in a new plan, visit Healthcare.gov External Site.
Should you change plans?
Consider your recent medical history and any potential upcoming medical needs. Did you visit the doctor more than expected last year? A careful review can help you determine if your current plan has the right amount of coverage for the coming year.
If you are looking for new health care coverage and you currently have a grandfathered or grandmothered plan, you should talk to an agent about your options. Keep in mind, if you cancel your grandfathered or grandmothered plan, that same plan will not be available to enroll in again.
To change plans, you will need to do so during open enrollment or after a qualifying life event.
Frequently asked questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about grandfathered and grandmothered plans:
If you have a grandfathered or grandmothered plan, you are able to keep your current plan through 2019. Your current plan may not include all of the benefits of an ACA plan, but that also means you are not paying for extra benefits you may not use.
Grandfathered or grandmothered plans are individual plans that were purchased prior to Jan. 1, 2014. There are two ways you can confirm whether or not your plan is grandfathered or grandmothered:
- View your plan information on myWellmark. If you have never logged in, it's easy to register for a myWellmark account with some basic information — your name, email address, member number from your insurance card, date of birth and last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Once logged in, click on My Benefits in the main menu.
- Scroll down the page and look for Additional Benefit Information. Click on "General +" under that heading.
- The information listed here will indicate if your plan is grandfathered or grandmothered.
Grandfathered members: As long as Wellmark continues to offer plans like yours, you can keep it.
Grandmothered members: You are able to keep your current plan through Dec. 31, 2019. If your plan does not get extended past 2019, Wellmark will communicate with you no less than 90 days before your plan terminates.