Finding Your Network Information
Your plan's network is important. It can mean better care for you and your family, and it may keep you covered away from home. Your network can even affect the cost of your prescriptions. Learn about your plan's network and get the most out of it.
Find your network
You might already know there are advantages to finding an in-network doctor — think of the cost-savings — but what if you don't know your network? We're here to help. There are a couple different ways to find your network:
- Look at your ID card Take a look at your Wellmark ID card. The name of your network can be found in the upper right-hand corner of your card.
- Log in to myWellmark®log in to myWellmark. You'll find your personal network information by clicking on the Coverage tab and navigating to Plan Details. You can see your information any time, anywhere by downloading the mobile app. For the most accurate information, register or
Understand your network
With our HMO plans, you choose your own health care coordinator. That’s your personal or "family doctor." He or she knows your whole medical history and can recommend health care solutions that meet your unique needs.
You see your personal doctor for routine health issues like treating the flu or preventive care like an annual physical. If you need to see a specialist, he or she can provide a referral.
In an HMO network, premiums are generally lower, but there is a little less flexibility — for instance, if the family doctor you currently see is not in the network, you may have to pay more out-of-pocket. You may consider choosing a new doctor in-network to keep costs lower. Thanks to our extensive network of providers, you can find your doctor or search a new doctor — and some of the state's best specialists — in your network.
Wellmark’s PPO plans are about choice. Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa and Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Dakota PPO plans have an extensive statewide network and access to a national network of providers through the Blue Card Program. The PPO plans includes 100 percent of hospitals and 99 percent of physicians in Iowa and South Dakota. Nationally, you have access to 96 percent of hospitals and 93 percent of physicians.
Always carry your Wellmark ID card, and don't forget to pack it when you take a trip. Thanks to our Wellmark mobile app, it's easy to have your ID card with you wherever you go. Wellmark health plans travel well, particularly in our PPO networks. In the United States, Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan members enjoy savings that the local Blue plan negotiates with local doctors and hospitals. Our PPO network allows you to have access to providers nationwide. For members in our HMO network, emergency care is always available.
Outside the United States, the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global® Core program External Site, included in some Wellmark plans, helps you access doctors and hospitals in more than 200 countries and territories. Or, get a quote and purchase travel health insurance from GeoBlue*® External Site. GeoBlue gives any traveler peace of mind by providing world-class medical coverage across the globe. You don't need health coverage with Wellmark to purchase a GeoBlue plan.*GeoBlue currently not available in South Dakota.
Use your network
Did you know you can find an in-network doctor from your myWellmark account? Just follow the steps:
- Register or log in to myWellmark online or on the mobile app.
- Select Find a Provider on the home page.
- Click Continue to confirm you are leaving myWellmark and going to the Find a Provider site.
- Use the search bar to find doctors by name or specialty. If you see them in the list and you are logged in, that means they are in your network.