a Quick and healthy breakfast idea.
Whole wheat French toast kabobs
with fresh fruit
Makes 4 servings
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup milk
pinch of salt
pinch of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 loaf of unsliced whole wheat bread, crusts removed, and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup fresh raspberries
½ cup fresh pineapple
½ cup fresh green grapes
2 bananas, sliced
Maple syrup & powdered sugar (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Now, stir in bread.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of margarine or butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Place half of the bread mixture into sauté pan and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until bread cubes are browned.
- Transfer cooked bread cubes into a clean baking dish and place in the oven at 250° to keep warm.
- Repeat cooking with remaining bread cubes (as in step 3).
- Remove baking dish from the oven and place bread cubes onto wooden skewers alternating with grapes, raspberries, pineapple and banana slices.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup or powdered sugar (optional). Makes 4 servings.
Get creative with your French toast and alternate it on kabobs with fresh fruit.