Halloween means spooky decorations, fun costumes, and lots of candy! But if you’re trying to keep the sweets to a minimum, Halloween can be a tricky holiday to navigate.
Consider helping out your neighbors and trick-or-treaters by passing out some healthy, fun alternatives to Halloween candy this year!
Halloween candy alternatives
- Glow sticks: kids will love lighting up the night with glow sticks, necklaces, and bracelets.
- Applesauce pouches: unsweetened applesauce is an excellent source of Vitamin C, and the easy squeeze pouches are a treat even the youngest trick-or-treaters can enjoy.
- Spider rings: the perfect accessory for any Halloween costume.
- Clementines: these fruits are small, easy to peel, and even resemble mini pumpkins.
- Stickers, pencils, and stamps: consider these non-food items for kids who may have food allergies but still want to take part in the Halloween fun.
- Snack-size pretzels: easy to hand out, mini bags of pretzels are a nice break from the sugar overload of traditional candy.
Even if you try to hand out some of these healthy alternatives, it’s inevitable that kids will bring home loads of candy. To avoid the temptation of extra candy at home and work, try a few of these tips: External Site
- Chew sugarless gum or brush your teeth: something about minty fresh breath makes a chewy, gooey candy bar seem a little less appealing.
- Hide your loot: make an effort to make the candy less accessible. Keeping it high in a cupboard or in the freezer could be just what you need to keep from mindlessly munching.
- Everything in moderation: when you are ready to treat yourself, choose your favorite candy and enjoy it! Take the time to appreciate your favorite treat rather than continually snacking on candy that you don’t really love.