When you think about the health of your community and neighbors, do you notice the need for better access to fresh fruits and vegetables or more community parks? What about healthier food options in schools or better sidewalks and bike racks around town to encourage travel on two-wheels?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, Healthy HometownSM Powered by Wellmark Opens New Window can help. To get started, learn from these five South Dakota communities that have committed to helping their neighbors grow in the areas of eating well, moving more and feeling better.
On Oct. 20, 2020, the Healthy HometownSM Powered by Wellmark Community Award winners were announced during the virtual Chronic Disease Partners/Better Choices, Better Health® meeting.
2020 Healthy HometownSM Powered by Wellmark Community Award Nominees
- Offered healthy choices, like fruit, nuts and cheese, at the schools' concession stands
- Hosted a bike rodeo, where attendees could learn about bike safety and rules of the road
- Completed a mural that highlights important parts of the community, giving residents a place to gather socially and reminisce
- Built a local "bark park" with water access and a picnic table shelter to provide a safe and convenient place for people to entertain their dogs and meet other pet owners
- Facilitated classes with local students that promoted locally sourced food and taste-testing
- Enhanced walking and biking crosswalks
- Hosted virtual yoga sessions every week
- Increased access to fresh veggies and meat through small farm stands
- Held knitting and reading clubs for residents of all ages
- Provided fitness equipment for people of all ages at the local recreation center
- Supported the weekend snack program that provides food to local young people who need it
- Promoted social interaction and physical activity among older adults through participation in the Walk with Ease program
- Started on-site gardens at local daycares to help children learn about growing their own food and healthy eating habits
- Installed outdoor fitness equipment at a local park
- Added a community garden, disc golf course and a walking/biking path to an old golf course
Get started in your own community today
Inspired by these finalists' success? Learn how Healthy Hometown can help your community eat well, move more and feel better. Check out Healthy Hometown online Opens New Window or email HealthyHometown@Wellmark.com Send Email for more information.