*This article was last updated May 2020.
Preventive care plays an important role in your employees overall health and well-being. However, seeking preventive care during the coronavirus pandemic may look different than it has before. Encourage your employees to contact their provider or visit their website before attending appointments to learn about special procedures that might be in place.
The millennial population is forecasted to represent half of the workforce by 2020. But, the health of millennials is suggesting otherwise. Millennials are starting to see their health decline at age 27 External Site, which makes them less healthy than Generation X at the same age. Not to mention, only 68 percent of millennials have a personal doctor, compared to 91 percent of Generation X which is an important factor in preventive care.
A quick Google search of “personalized health care” or “personalized medicine” will yield countless results on artificial intelligence, new scientific breakthroughs and health care technology. It can be overwhelming. But, in reality, there’s one tried and true way — without changing or adding anything to your existing health plan — for your employees to experience personalized health care: a personal doctor.
A personal doctor, or a primary care physician, is the difference between health care and tailored health care that fits their needs. A personal doctor can include: internal medicine practitioners, nurse practitioners, general practitioners, physicians assistants, obstetricians/gynecologists or pediatricians. They are the health care providers your employees should see for their annual preventive exams or general, non-emergent health care needs.
When your employees have a primary care physician who knows them and their health history, they can experience numerous:
- A personal doctor can mean big savings. When employees select an in-network personal doctor Opens in a new window, they will experience lower health care costs. Under most health plans and with an in-network personal doctor, preventive care is covered at 100 percent. By visiting their personal doctor for annual preventive exams, your employees may be able to prevent or better treat External Site any chronic conditions that can negatively impact their health. And, with myWellmark®, employees can track and monitor their health care useSecure Site.
- They'll have better health and greater satisfaction. Studies have shown that patients who have a good relationship with their doctor have better health outcomes External Site, and these better outcomes mean greater satisfaction in their overall health care and, potentially, their health plan. Encouraging your employees to select and see a personal doctor will help them to see the benefits of their insurance coverage.
- A strong, trusted relationship. Building a relationship with a health care provider can be one of the most beneficial things a person can do to improve their health. Not only does a strong, trusted relationship open the lines of communication between patient and doctor, but it can also reduce mortality rates External Site. Share this free downloadable guide Opens in a new window with your millennial employees. It will help them choose a PCP, and will provide them with down-to-earth guidance for the first office visit.
- Access to coordinated care. Access to care when and where your employees need it is critical. A personal doctor can help coordinate care with specialists and direct your employees to other health care providers they know and trust.
- Fewer ER or hospital visits. According to Modern Healthcare, about 30 percent of emergency department visits among patients with common chronic conditions are potentially unnecessary External Site, leading to $8.3 billion in additional costs for the industry. Reducing these visits is key to keeping down your health care costs. And, a personal doctor is a key way to help reduce unnecessary visits External Site. Instead of visiting the ER or hospital for minor health concerns, employees who have a personal doctor will see them instead of going to the ER.
When your millennial employees select and see their primary care physician on a regular basis, not only are they being more conscious health care consumers — which helps your bottom line — but they are also on their way to better health. Wellmark customers can visit Wellmark’s Employer Connection Opens in a new window for an easy way to educate your employees on the benefits of selecting a personal doctor.
Questions? Contact your authorized Wellmark account representative or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Send Email.