Some cyberattacks, like ransomware, can be hard to detect at first. Ransomware is a type of malware designed to block access to a computer system until money is paid.
The best defense against a cyberattack is to be aware and take proactive steps to protect yourself and your business like:
- Keeping software and devices up to date
- Using strong passwords
- Staying leery of unusual emails and pop-ups
Even by taking these steps, knowing how to detect an attack ensures you can take swift action to correct the problem. Indicators of an attack could include:
- A user realizing that a link, file attachment or website may have been malicious in nature.
- Losing the ability to access certain files, or noticing that files have been deleted, renamed or moved.
- Your computer taking longer to process simple commands for no apparent reason, or a slower than normal internet speed.
- Getting locked out of your system or receiving an email that a password was changed without your request.
This is not an exhaustive list. If something feels wrong, it probably is. Be sure you know who to contact if you believe that your business has experienced a cyberattack so you respond immediately. And, as a reminder, if you suspect that something is wrong and you discover that protected health information (PHI) has been compromised, you must report the incident to Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield immediately. Contact your authorized Wellmark representative or email CyberResponse@Wellmark.com. Send Email
Learn more to protect yourself against cybersecurity threats:
|Cybersecurity on the go|
|Cybersecurity on the go article|