Did you know your ZIP code can affect your health more than your genetic code? It’s true. Take a minute to think about some of your day-to-day activities.
- Do you drive to work instead of walking or riding a bike?
- Is fast food easier to fit in between meetings?
- How much time do you spend in front of a computer or on your phone?
Your surroundings can directly impact your health and well-being. But, with work and other commitments, it can often feel like there just aren’t enough hours in the day to make the healthy choice.
That’s where Healthy Hometown Powered by WellmarkSM Opens in a new window comes in to help.
Backed by the Healthiest State Initiative External Site in Iowa and Good & Healthy South Dakota External Site, Healthy Hometown assists communities — at no cost — in identifying ways to integrate well-being into all aspects of life.
Healthy HometownSM Powered by Wellmark
In the first year of the program, 17 Iowa communities and one in South Dakota took the first steps to implement positive changes. Healthy Hometown offers three “tracks” that help communities identify ways to create sustainable change: Eat Well, Move More and Feel Better.
Here are just a few ways your business can engage in the program:
- Share fruits/veggies at work; bring healthy snacks to gatherings.
- Choose/request healthy vending options.
- Post a healthy recipe at your company, school or organization. There are plenty to choose from, take a look!
- Provide space for employees to start a worksite garden.
- Promote taking the stairs or implement walking meetings.
- Encourage employees to take stretch breaks in an effort to help them to stand and get a much-needed break from their computer screen. Read about how that can improve productivity.
- Start a lunchtime walking group.
- Remind your employees to take advantage of their preventive health benefits. Immunization and yearly physicals are crucial in staying healthy.
- Implement a tobacco-free policy.
- Host a food drive or encourage volunteerism.
By making the healthy choice the easy choice, you can help transform the communities where you and your employees live, work and play. The program is working to improve the quality of life, encourage local pride, and build a strong economy.
Learn more Opens in a new window or call a Healthy Hometown expert at 515-376-4401.
Eat Well, Move More and Feel Better.