Wellmark receives first annual 2020 Diversity Team Award Award recognizes teams whose work advances diversity and inclusion
DES MOINES, IA – Profiles in Diversity Journal ® has announced Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield as one of 18 companies to receive the magazine's first annual Diversity Team Award for 2020. The Award specifically recognizes the Wellmark Inclusion Council whose work and leadership supports and advances diversity and inclusion within Wellmark and the communities they serve. Additional information about Wellmark's diversity and inclusion work will be included in the Journal's spring edition.
The Wellmark Inclusion Council was formed in 2006 to help Wellmark drive heightened focus and awareness on building an inclusive company for its members, employees, and communities. The Council is made up of 18 Wellmark employee volunteers from various backgrounds and job levels and is led by Wellmark Chairman and CEO, John Forsyth.
"At Wellmark, diversity and inclusion are fundamental to who we are and what we do - I consider it one of the best investments we have made," said Forsyth. "The Inclusion Council is worthy of this great recognition. They have worked tirelessly to turn our commitment into meaningful initiatives and policies that will benefit our employees, members and the communities we serve for generations to come."
Since its inception, the Wellmark Inclusion Council has helped to:
- Create an innovative high school internship in partnership with Des Moines Public Schools and Urban Dreams.
- Create inclusive medical benefits for enhanced gender transition options and domestic partners.
- Host an annual Inclusion Awareness Month to provide education, events and to recognize employees through an employee-nominated Inclusion Ambassador Award.
- Infuse inclusive learning into employee orientation and ongoing learning workshops.
- Sponsor and encourage volunteerism at diversity-focused community events.
- Introduce a Supplier Diversity Program to identify and encourage opportunities for qualified companies.