Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield announced today the 10 startups that have been selected to present at this year’s “Mentor+Match” event on July 12, in Cedar Rapids. Each company will be given the opportunity to pitch their ideas to a panel of judges for a chance to earn money and a six-month career mentorship. The public is invited to watch to the final Pitch Competition from 3 - 5:00 p.m.
Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield is collaborating with Elevar, a company that specializes in healthcare innovation and entrepreneurship, to provide the free event. The event will provide healthcare-aligned Iowa startups and entrepreneurs the opportunity to gain exposure and further develop their startup. Wellmark has also engaged the Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance to provide support and local business engagement.
The 10 startups include:
- eVizzit (Des Moines, IA) – eVizzit is striving for more efficient psychiatric care and lower cost telepsychiatry services.
- Infondrian LLC (Iowa City, IA) – Infondrian LLC is automating the detection of patient treatment errors in radiation oncology.
- xerionsoft (Iowa City, IA) – xerionsoft is a group of app developers, educators and therapists who want to help children learn and grow. They are working on a reminder system for patients and doctors.
- BornReady (Iowa City, IA) - Born Ready is an innovative child-proofing mobile application that provides in-depth safety information to new and expecting parents.
- NextStep.io (Cedar Rapids, IA) - NextStep.io makes it simple for fitness professionals to connect with their clients activity by creating personalized accountability and unlocking the true potential of activity trackers.
- pxAlpha (Coralville, IA) - pxAlpha is working to develop a safer, more effective prostate cancer treatment.
- Immortagen, L.L.C. (Iowa City, IA) - Immortagen, L.L.C. combines tumor banking and predictive algorithms to enhance personalized cancer treatment.
- Medhava Media (Des Moines, IA) - Medhava Media combines knowledge and clinical expertise of best doctors into electronic resources.
- Iowa Adaptive Technologies (Iowa City, IA) - Iowa Adaptive Technologies develops devices to enable critically ill and disabled patients to communicate.
- iTrackingResearch (Cedar Falls, IA) - iTrackingResearch is currently the only quantified method to detect and monitor Parkinson’s disease.
The event will feature Iowa executives, successful entrepreneurs, and venture capitalists that will interact with participants through presentations and mentorship sessions including a speed dating-type format to help provide insight and direct feedback for each startup. The day will end with a Pitch Competition where each startup presents to a panel of judges for a chance to earn money and a six-month career mentorship.
“We’re proud to host this event for enterprising individuals and companies in Cedar Rapids, the home of the ‘Creative Corridor’,” said Rebecca Falk, Wellmark’s Interactive Strategy Director. “An event of this caliber is a great opportunity for these startups to move their ideas to the next level – we’re thankful for Elevar and the Economic Alliance who helped to make this event a reality.”
||Iowa startups and entrepreneurs
||Wellmark & Elevar Mentor+Match event
||Saturday, July 12, 2014
10 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.
(The Pitch Competition is open to the public from 3 - 5:00 p.m.)
||Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance office
501 First St SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
||Iowa startups/entrepreneurs have the chance to win mentorship with a Wellmark executive and earn money to develop their healthcare-aligned startup.
||To learn more about the event or to apply, visit: http://www.elevarlabs.com/cedar-rapids
To follow the event on Twitter, use the hashtag: #MentorMatchIA
Wellmark, Inc. does business as Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa. Wellmark and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, including Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Dakota and Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc., insure or pay health benefit claims for more than 2 million members in Iowa and South Dakota. Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Dakota, and Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc. are independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Elevar delivers real innovation in healthcare through Elevar Labs, a healthcare innovation development program, as well as Elevar Consulting, its boutique healthcare consulting services. Elevar works with senior executives of large healthcare organizations to address their most challenging healthcare problems and further leverages deep ties with innovative healthcare startups to offer a unique platform to infuse health innovation into enterprise. Elevar is a privately held company.