Federal privacy regulations require Wellmark to provide a secure manner for the electronic exchange of confidential information. We partner with ZixCorp for our Secure E-Message system.
The first time Wellmark sends a secure e-message notification to your personal e-mail inbox, you will be asked to validate youre e-mail address.( You will be asked for this validation even if you are already a registered user of wellmark.com.)
Accessing Your Messages
Here are the steps to access secure e-messages:
- If you have a Secure E-Message from Wellmark, you will receive an e-mail in your personal e-mail inbox.
- Select the hyperlink in the e-mail. This will launch the Secure E-Message login page in your browser.
- Type your user ID and password, then select the Log In button. Your Wellmark Secure E-Message mailbox will return in your browser window.
Things to note:
- After you have read your secure e-message, you may send a secure e-message reply by selecting the Reply button at the top of the e-message.
- Secure e-messages are available for 180 days from the sent date. Ater 180 days, the e-messages "expire" and delete out of your Wellmark Secure E-Message mailbox.
- You may forward a secure e-message to a Wellmark employee. If you try to forward to anyone else, you will receive an error message. Forwarding e-messages is secure.
As a registered user of Wellmark's Secure E-Message services, you can securely access your Wellmark Secure E-Message mailbox at anytime by selecting the link within a Wellmark Secure E-Message notification or by logging in to your Secure E-Message mailbox (does not allow a registration for new account option).
You can do the following:
Read E-Messages From Wellmark
To access and read past e-messages:
- Select the Inbox tab. A list of your secure e-messages will return on the page.
- Open an e-message by selecting an e-message subject link.
- Use the Download button contained within the e-message to read an attachment.
Reply to the Sender
To reply to a Wellmark employee:
- Open an e-message.
- Select the Reply button to send a secure reply to the sender. A reply form returns on the page with the To and Subject fields automatically completed for you. Note: You may foward a secure e-message to a Wellmark employee. If you try to forward to anyone else, you will receive an error message. Forwarding e-messages is secure.
- Type your reply in the Message field.
- To attach a document to your reply, select the Attach File button, under the message field, and follow the prompts.
- To set an e-message priority, select the Down Arrow button on the priority field, then select the appropriate priority.
- Select the Send button when you are ready to send your secure e-message.
Obtaining a Direct Connection - Brokers, Employers, and Providers
Transport Layer Security (TLS) is an easy way to secure a connection over the Internet to facilitate transmissions between Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield's e-mail relay and the e-mail relay of external entities. It's the newest version of secure socket layer (SSL) with enhanced security features — simply put, it establishes a secure "tunnel" over the Internet.
Is TLS a Good Fit for My Company?
If you answer "yes" to the questions below, then TLS is a good fit for your company.
- Do you manage your own e-mail relay server?
- Do you have your own up-to-date SSL/TLS certificate (128-bit version) installed on your e-mail relay server?
- Does your e-mail system support TLS, and do you have the ability to enable it?
- Does your work force experience high e-mail volumes?
- Do you employ multiple users who routinely transmit protected health information (PHI) to Wellmark?
Obtaining a TLS Line
TLS is low-cost, and certificates (if you do not have one) are easy to obtain, install, and maintain. TLS does not require client-side software, and the end-user is not required to register or log in to open secure e-messages.